NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Star trails over Mauna Loa, Hawai'i

Star trails to the south over Mauna Loa, taken from Mauna Kea. Unfortunately the little cinder cone gets in the way of the summit of Mauna Loa -- but I wasn't going to stand outside in the cold for 3 hours to get a better view (here at 9000ft, even Hawai'i is baltic at night!).

Mauna Loa doesn't look an impressive mountain in this image. It's actually over 13000ft high, and to give an idea of scale, the car lights you can see coming down Mauna Loa took about 30 minutes to cover that distance. If you look on the full image, you can see the (not so) old lava flows.

~240 x 30s images with a Nikon D80 + ~50mm lens. Stacked together in GIMP with "Lighten Only" layer combination. Occasional masks applied to get rid of scattered light from cars. Little bit of colour balancing/thresholding, but not much processing at all.

post-18754-1338774861_thumb.jpg

Archived