NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Tal 200k OTA rings

Hi Folks,

Got a query about the 8'' rings that came with my 200K.

I’m used to having one bolt that flips over to secure the rings. This has a nut a bolt and a washer. I don’t think I will be able to secure the OTA single handed. Any suggestions?

I also noticed the rings tighten completely shut when the OTA is secured. Is this normal?

Cheers (Будем здоровы)

post-14120-13387748377_thumb.jpg

If you have the above plate, you can attach a std skywatcher/vixen dovetail to it and not need the rings. The only reason I use the rings on mine is for an accessory holder, so to speak. I have the burgess Fluorite Apo in the geoptic rings which attach to an aluminium bar which then attaches to the rings. On the other side of the rings I've attached a 80mm finder and bracket. This lets me use the std Tal 50mm finder in it's original position on the ota.

Cheers,

Andy.

Another thing you could try if you have to or want to use the rings, is to get some thin cork. Glue it to the inside of the rings and then place some felt over the top. This will help to pack out the inside size enough?

Andy.

Thanks for the comprehensive response Andy. :icon_eek:

No Losmandy-esque dovetail. (No natty looking handle either :))

Odd the rings are a bit bigger than they should be? (/Lugs smaller?)

I think the cork Idea is a good one. Even with the bolt on my setup I'm not convinced the rings are gripping the OTA as solidly as they should be.

Now, where can I buy some thin strips of cork. :) Let the Googling commence...

Cheers

The dovetail should be standard part of the scope package. That's how the scope attaches to the newer Tal eq mounts. I'd ask the seller if he has it somewhere?

The handle is an addition I made. I got it from a plastic parts supplier. It's got brass threaded inserts. Works damn well.

If you find strips or sheets of cork, let me know, cause I've got another project on the go that will need some.

Cheers,

Andy.

Archived