Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Two new filters awaiting first light

riklaunim

So it's raining and I can only post pictures of new filters, not images taken through them :) Two industry/scientific filters bought from UQG (Optics) Ltd. Optical Components & Technical Glasses Manufacturer - Hoya 340 (UV) and RG-1000. 25 mm dia fitted to slightly modded 1,25" filter cells of those cheap SW/Celestron moon filters (made from hard plastic). Both are black and only Hoya shows something when looking on a light bulb :D

292twlj_th.jpg

1jhhj_th.jpg

RG-1000

Passing from ~1000nm til near infrared. Mainly for Venus (night, day side). Cheap. More specific for Venus night side window at 1010nm cost much more (~150 EUR for Asahi longpass 990, 230 EUR for 1010nm narrowband - 10 nm filter from Eureca). Will be also used on gas planets if sensitivity allows.

adiv74_th.jpg

Hoya-340

UV filter, for Venus and other planets. This one is quite unique as it doesn't nearly leak IR so no IR blocker needed I thinkt.

1ha0ew_th.jpg

25 mm dia is some sort of a standard for "industry" filters, and they are almost like 1,25" filter so they should illuminate most of the CCDs, even 2/3" or alike. Except those two above there are many other filters that could be adapted for astronomy - narrowband 890nm methane filter, or narrowband filters for DS imaging in He,Ar,Ne,Cl bands :eek: Look at:

Eureca Meßtechnik GmbH

Optical Filters - Edmund Optics

Optical Filters - Asahi Spectra USA Inc.

I've managed to do some initial test of RG-1000. Clouds prevented full set of images for RG and Hoya... maybe today :)

RG-1000 is brighter than narrowband 10nm methane band filter (the planet appears bright). Didn't checked that yet, but at 1 sec exposure I get more than double histogram fill with RG-1000 than with methane filter. Jupiter looks bright like with standard Ir-Passing filters, but some structures seems to be white than dark like in Pro Planet. More images needed to compare :) Look at the white spot in north polar region (north down) and some white stripes close to the equator on the RG image.

Although it's 1 sec image it did sharpen very nicely with deconvolution. With better camera and more frames it could interesting addon for Pro Planet images.

t9bmnc_th.jpg

21b96di_th.jpg

All images taken with DSI III Pro with SCT 8" at f/10. RG-1000 and methane band images with bin2 (and drizzled 150% for the bigger set). Focus set with Bahtinov mask on a Jupiter moon.

Archived