NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Venus in the afternoon:

yeti monster

Finally, after weeks of cloud cover, I have had chance to get the wee skymax 90 out, at 14:00 hundred hours o'clock, PM, in the afternoon I got to see Venus, in a beautifully defined crescent against a sweet, pale blue sky. What a wonderful sight. I was able to share this with Lu Kei Wei (pronounced "look away"!!, which is kind of ironic), who used to be Subsea Engineer here before me.

We watched using various EPs for about 30 minutes, untill he was called away for duties.

The best view was with the 12mm WA, as the 8mm was losing clarity, probably due to the bright sky and the heat.

It was the heat that finally made me pack away, the sweat stinging my eyes and threatening to drip into the EP.

I've been wanting to view Venus in broad daylight for ages, so much nicer than at dusk, when she is just far too bright to make out more than a vague shape.

My feeble attemp at catching the moment:

f5152afc056ee6e664cdc285a7057f75_6577.jpg?dl=1284274611

Nice Pictures.

I was in Southend this afternoon sitting on the seafront. I managed to locate the moon over the Thames with my 10x50s and then by slewing slowly towards London I managed to find Venus and could clearly make out the crescent shape. Once I knew where it was I was able to locate it with my naked eye too, though it was hard to keep sighted on as it would only take a blink to lose it. I shall be having another look from home tomorrow if the skies are clear enough.

Archived