EQ2 mount, 5" reflector, what could I photograph?

I know this kind of question has been asked many times before but I have not found it in this precise formulation.

I am looking at buying my first scope, probably a second-hand Celestron Astromaster 130 or Skywatcher Explorer 130 on an EQ2 mount or maybe a TAL1.

My question is, if I want at some point to slap a camera on this kind of scope to image Jupiter, Saturn, The Moon, Andromeda or the Orion Nebula, what chance do I have?

What kind of objects could I sensibly expect to be able to photograph with this kind of kit?

If I get a scope on a non-motorised EQ2 mount, can I add a motor later? Will that help or is the mount only good enough for planetary shots and would benefit from a motor?

I have found Skywatcher Explorer 130's on un-motorised EQ2 mounts for around £110. Is this a reasonable price? As I am just starting out, I would rather not go much further than £100.

--- Penguin

For a beginner the eq2 and 130 is a great scope and ok mount... however (didnt you just know there'd be a however) for imaging you'll need a driven mount and something a bit more sturdy... how about just use the 130 and eq2 and learn the sky first and see if its for you, that way you wont spend mega-bucks on an all singing, all dancing imaging rig only to get fed up with it all and sell it for peanuts...

To take images you need motors, and you will need to accurately set up the mount.

Without motors the image will be moving relative to yourself so you will get a series of streaks.

The EQ2 is light so if you attempt anything you will need to mount the DSLR or whatever then rebalance the scope and attachments. Adding a DSLR will throw the balance of the mount and scope out and on something that is as light as an EQ2 a rebalance will be essential.

You could try afocal photography of the moon/planets, where you take a picture with the camera held at the eyepiece.

You could try a webcam to grab an avi type movie of planets/moon as they move across the webcam field of view, then use a stacking program to process the avi into a single higher quality picture. You would need to barlow the cam to about F25.

Even with a single axis drive and correct polar alignment,the EQ2 isn't really good enough to take long exposures of DSO...too much shake and too much noise in the drivetrain.

Ok thanks guys,

So it sounds like the EQ2, although fine for my needs at the moment, is probably not man enough to get full benefit of a motor drive and would be out if its comfort zone photographing anything other than planets.

Just missed out on a Skywatcher Explorer 130PM on Ebay last night. My max of 110 wasn't enough so I will keep looking.

--- Penguin

Well you could always look for the Skywatcher 130m with RA clock drive fitted, I have one here, that I may be selling very soon, and that would be £110.00 or there abouts, they do come up often. The reason I've not advertised it yet is because I don't want to post it! it would be pick up only, so I will try locally first.

Keep an eye out on the forum, I've seen a few lately.

By the way the skywatcher is a superb scope, and with drive fitted it makes it useful for photography.

Ray

No, the EQ2 would be ok carrying a camera, piggy-back style, with its own lens. You wouldn't be using the telescope optics for that, though. For a DSLR, you can try lenses of up to 300mm focal length. There are some quite large objects out there that would look great in that focal length (Rosette, North America, Andromeda).

No, the EQ2 would be ok carrying a camera, piggy-back style, with its own lens. You wouldn't be using the telescope optics for that, though. For a DSLR, you can try lenses of up to 300mm focal length. There are some quite large objects out there that would look great in that focal length (Rosette, North America, Andromeda).

Why other piggy backing the mount would be a lot happier with just the camera on it...

Well you could always look for the Skywatcher 130m with RA clock drive fitted, I have one here, that I may be selling very soon, and that would be £110.00 or there abouts, they do come up often. The reason I've not advertised it yet is because I don't want to post it! it would be pick up only, so I will try locally first.

Keep an eye out on the forum, I've seen a few lately.

By the way the skywatcher is a superb scope, and with drive fitted it makes it useful for photography.

Ray

I would love to 'keep an eye on the forum' but I have yet to rack up anywhere near the 30 (or is it 50?) posts required. Hence this one!

--- Alistair.

• 2 years later...

Archived