NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Another transit of Jupes?

Space Oddity6

Hey all,

After a bit of a disappointing start (no-goes on M31 and Wild Duck cluster) I swivelled around to have a gander at M13. I'd seen it before but when it was pretty much washed out by the Moon, so tonight I was expecting better, and I wasn't let down. The smudge was a lot brighter but was only really viewable through 25mm, with my 10 and 6mm there was no resolution at all.

Next to Jupiter, where after a minute or so, I noticed a black spot in the centre north of the planet (centre south reflector lingo). Did I see my first transit? How long do transits take? I was viewing for about 25-30mins and it didn't seem to move at all.

Just before retreating inside from the cold I got my first light on Uranus!! So easy to miss but I think I got it, a grey-green colour and through my 10 and 6mm there was a definite disc.

Looks very lonely out there in deepest darkest space while Jupiter parties with its moons.

There is a transit of Ganymede going on this evening. The shadow of the moon was 1st to transit - you should see some movement over 30 mins of viewing but it's left the disk now. The moon itself is currently crossing the disk and is visible in moderate scopes as a small greyish spot - the shadow was black.

I saw a moon coming out from behind Jupiter, I think it was around 2 a.m.. I presume this was Ganymede? It was really amazing! My Intes MK 66 150mm f/12 Mak gives a really good view of Jupiter and it's moons.

I think Ganymede was coming out from crossing in front of the planet - it's shadow preceded it by a couple of hours.

It was a lovely sight - I observed it with my Intes 152mm mak-newtonian - the Russians really know how to make nice scopes :o

Archived