NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

A couple of questions if I may.....

Digz

Following on from my success at DSO's over the past couple of nights. I am starting to look at the widefield aspect of astrophotography.

I currently have a spare dovetail bar and my questions are as follows:

1. What would I need to attach my camera to this spare dovetail? I do have a manfrotto ball head but I assume I need some sort of screw to thread through to connect this head to the dovetail?

2. If I polar align with my camera mounted on my EQ6 instead of the scope do I need to perform any 1, 2, or 3 star alignments? What I am getting at is after Im polar aligned and powered up can I slew to a part of the sky and start imaging i.e. once powered does my mount automatically going into sidereal tracking?

Any other thoughts on mounting my camera to my mount for widefield are greatly appreciated - apart from the fact it is probably overkill, lol.

TIA

Many thanks for the reply Steve, just found the answer in your book as well, knew it was in there somewhere but just couldn't see it!!!

Having done a quick Google search on this type of screw it looks potentially hard to get hold of, is that right? I have a local B&Q which I was hoping to get it from, I guess I can take the dovetail with me and see what fits?

Thanks for the response.

Just a quick one on the screws. I'm always messing around trying to join things together, so have ended up buying odd packs of 5 or 10 screws, nuts, threaded rod, etc from the likes of ebay. 1/4" UNC and whitworth are near enough the same. UNC stainless is very popular on Harley bikes. For a few quid you easily end up with an assortment of bits to hold most scopes and camreas together in whatever configuration you can think of. Hope this helps.

Archived