Early days, some success

Hi All

When I first posted on here, I got some good advice which helped me out a lot.

Since then, I've upgraded from a Celestron 76eq to a 130eq. As there was not much extra to pay, I figured it was worth it.

I am starting slowly, but am enjoying the learning experience. I haven't tired yet of looking at the moon, and on Saturday night managed to pick up Jupiter and it's closest moons. Was really a great sight. What would be the next thing I should seek out in my development?

Am thinking that the next thing is to make use of the full magnification capability of the scope so am looking at a barlow and some other lenses. I think I have done my research okay on the Barlow, and am probably going for the Orion Shorty Plus. Any advice on where I should get other lenses from (beyond my included 10 and 20mm)?

Still having trouble with the red-dot star finder by the way, which I just can't use. Any advice how best to use this appreciated? Thinking that 'the bin' is likely to be the most likely response on this!

Thanks all

Yes the RDF takes some getting used to but it's actually quite clever. First make sure its aligned with the scope. This is best done in daylight.

Keep both eyes opened (dont ask why - thats what they all say) and move the scope till the red dot is on your required object. If all things have gone well you should have the object in the field of view of your low power eyepiece.

Clear skies

Archived