Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

First Jupiter with D200...

Digz

So, last night was the first time I have been able to get my scope out for the last 2 months!!!!

The purpose of last night was to get my astro-imaging technique sorted for my foray into AP bot widefield and DSO's. Despite initial frustrations with polar and single star alignment I turn my attention to Jupiter once it had risen enough. I hadn't planned to really try planetary AP but thought what the heck and gave it ago, along with the moon.

Below is a single frame from my D200 attached to my SW250P DS. Shot at prime focus with 2X barlow, several shots were taken with the focus tweaked after each which yielded this shot:

digz-albums-solar-system-picture6303-dsc6156.jpg

I was surprised at the relatively fast shutter speed required to capture detail (1/40th sec). This shot is actually the single frame processed twice, once for jupiter (as is shot) and once to show up the moons (which I think are Ganymede, Europa and Io?)

This shot hasn't been flipped or mirrored at all as I need to get to grips with that so its straight out the camera.

Thoughts, comments and critique on how I can improve is very welcome and thank you for looking.

Archived