NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Polaris transit question.

Hi everyone. I know this topic has been covered before but I'm still non the wiser.

Having read Astro-babys article on polar alignment, I think I have the process sussed out. However, it all seems to hinge on initially setting the date/time rings to the date and time of Polaris's highest transit. This then enables you to turn the mount in RA to the current date/ time to put the finder reticule in the correct place to align with Polaris at the time of observing. The problem is I can't find any information on when Polaris will be at it's highest point.

I've downloaded PolarFinder, but this just seems to give data for the day of enquiry.

Am I misunderstanding the instructions? ;)

Thanks in advance.

Paul.

I've been on that website, but given my elementary level it isn't helping. As with PolarFinder it just gives info for the time and date that I provide. I'm still looking for the elusive details of the highest transit. I'm expecting to see a time and date in the future to enable e to set my rings on the mount.

Still confused.

ok you need to feed it you lat and lon of your observing site and the time zone then tell it what time period you want to generate the data for...

Here's the results from using that page for the next 30 days for a ficticious location...

post-14969-133877475264_thumb.jpg

The rise and set times are all ****'s becasue polaris doesnt "set"

Peter...

AHA! Ok, so now it starts to make sense. I didn't realise you could get 30 day blocks. So I just work through the charts until I find the next highest altitude for Polaris and set that date/time on the mount. Eeeeexxcelent work Psychobilly, thank you.

Does your forum name have anything to do with your taste in music?

Maybe I've got this wrong, but all that seems like a lot of trouble to go to. Correct me if I'm wrong but :-

True north is the center of a circle that polaris 'orbits'

The circle is reproduced in your polar scope

No matter where you move the mount RA, the center of that circle in your polar scope remains the center (as long as the reticule is centered properly)

SO

If you use polarfinder (software) which prints a circle, with the position of which part of that circle polaris should be at, and look through your polar scope, and make your view the same as the pic, then surely, no matter where you move RA, polaris will STILL be at that point in the circle. Only the constellation pictures on the outside of the circle will change which isn't important.

Or am I missing something, because that's how I do it and I'm quite happy with my tracking, even such as Jupiter at high mag stays in view nicely.

Archived