Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Ungluing... help wanted!

Andrew*

I have two boards that have been glued together (as well as screwed with 16 screws and painted over, just to make it more difficult) and wish to seperate them.

I don't have a clue what glue was used. I have tried using a knife and a screwdriver, but even if these were effective, they would not get very far.

They are 18mm plywood boards, about 500mm square. One of them needs to survive the operation, not bothered about the other.

Any suggestions for parting them?

Cheers

Andrew

Probably be easier to make a new one.. anyhting that will chemically unstick the two boards will probably delaminate the ply board you want to keep...

So your looking at a mechanical method really... hack most the back board off after removing all the screws and sand it back...

Peter...

Hmm... thought it would be too tricky.

The problem is it's the base of a dob I've just bought - the previous owner removed the original teflon bearing footboard and replaced it with supermarket trolley wheels :D. Rather than simply attachign them to the original base, he decided to put them on another board and glue/screw/paint that on, making the mod practically irreversible.

So the easiest option is to leave it on and drill through it to reattach the original footboard with a longer bolt. Makes it heavier and (slightly) taller, but saves a lot of work...

I wonder how he tracked objects at high power with the swivel wheels...

Andrew

Hmm... thought it would be too tricky.

The problem is it's the base of a dob I've just bought - the previous owner removed the original teflon bearing footboard and replaced it with supermarket trolley wheels :D. Rather than simply attachign them to the original base, he decided to put them on another board and glue/screw/paint that on, making the mod practically irreversible.

So the easiest option is to leave it on and drill through it to reattach the original footboard with a longer bolt. Makes it heavier and (slightly) taller, but saves a lot of work...

I wonder how he tracked objects at high power with the swivel wheels...

Andrew

Hmmm, yes, I think I see the situation and yes, I reckon you are right. Remove wheels and re-attach original foot board with longer bolts seem the simplest way.

Archived