Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

So what am I going to need??!

badgerchap

OK, so I want to start imaging, but I don't want to go out buying a load of stuff that's going to cost a bomb and be inappropriate for the job.

I'm using a 9" Celestron dob, very old, which I want to turn into a standard newtonian by fixing it to an HEQ5. I was going to try and get away with not getting the synscan version and managing with motor drives - will this work? Or will it be too difficult or unstable?

Also, having seen other set ups, it looks like I'll need a guidescope. Is this a necessity, or can I do without?

Also, of course, there is the camera. The Atik 16ic-s looks alright for a starter, but has anyone tried on out? Is it too much of a cheapie? If so, what are the alternatives?

And what have I missed out? Will this lot be enough to start, or are there things that I cannot do without?

Really hope someone can help me here - I'm feeling pretty lost to be honest. Thank god observing isn't this complex..... Thanks in advance guys,

Guy

If you are going to use the 9" dob as an imaging scope, you'll have to invest in a more sturdy mount than the HEQ5/EQ5. Go for the EQ6. (I use a HEQ5 Pro Synscan with an 8" Newtonian, and it's already overburdened.)

So... when you have that sorted out you'll need.

- Guide cam

- Imaging Cam. DSL/CCD

- Autoguider interface (GPUSB) if not standalone guider

- Baader MPCC (The reflectors have coma around the edges when used for photography. That needs to be corrected for.

- USB Hub

- Velcro

- Bits and bobs

- Computer with software (capture software, guide software, post-processing software, image editing software)

With good alignment you should be able to do 30-70 second exposures with no guide camera. If I were you I'd start there. Get a scope,

mount and camera sorted out and take it from there :-)

If your going imaging i would ditch the newt completly and start out with a small 80mm refractor, its a lot easier to image with and then the heq5 will be suitable.

Atik 16 is a nice camera, chip is small but all are at these prices.

Yeah, I was thinking about going for a little refractor - much less bulky and then I can still use my dob for mucking around! Has anyone tried out the SkyWatcher 190MN Maksutov Newtonian? Looks a bit pricey but looks pretty nice too for imaging! Man, this imaging lark is going to cost me....... ah well!

I would start with a small refractor and a DSLR. This will give a nice wide field of view and make tracking and guiding relatively easy. With your Newt and a small CCD, the field of view will be tiny and will be very demanding on the mount and for tracking. A capable mount is the priority over the scope and imaging equipment.

Archived