What did I see? Solar flare?

Andrew*

First of all, at about 10.45 I saw a fairly large, dark filament appear just W of the main active region. Oddly, it was most visible right outside of the sweet spot, and almost invisible in the sweet spot. I concluded that it was moving fast towards me, shortening the wavelength to just outside the wavelength range of the etalon, but still in the sweet-spot range.

Within 15 minutes this filament had disappeared, just as quickly as it had appeared. Now, however, the active region had a very different appearance, with very bright luminous strings through and around it. I've never seen such bright regions in an active area before (although I did see a similar effect on AR1089). It appeared like aurora appears from space - like it was electrically charged. At 11.30, it was still like this.

I've never seen either of these two effects before and cannot explain them.

Anyone else see it?

Andrew

Hello Andrew. Yes, I think I also saw the phenomenon that you described. I have seen this effect in the past, almost like rivers of lava running down a volcano, these active areas are worth keeping an eye on as they can erupt into spectacular flares. I have some video sequences of this captured a few years ago with a Coronado Helios I solar telescope and Astrovid 2000 camera.

Thanks Peter, what a shame I can't get out and check it out until 7.30 or so.

I observed at about 4pm and noticed the sunspot group had evolved quite a bit since 11am. Evidently a very busy active region...

Andrew

AR 11099 (the new active area near the "twin spot" AR 11093) was flaring this morning, you probably saw an eruptive filament resulting from this - it would have been significantly blue shifted as the ejection velocity is huge.

Archived