NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

What filter for me?

I have posting around lots to try and get some ideas of what filters are good for me however am not having much luck.

To put it simply, i have quite a few street lights around my area, some are the older ones with a orange glow, however some are the new, very bright white ones.

My scope is 90mm apature and is a refractor.

I am looking for something that will reduce LP and enhance contrast on things like Nebulae and galaxies.

Can some help with what would be best and where i can get it? i am looking at spending £20 and will def go second hand!

cheers

Well the cheapest light pollution filter is probably the Skywatcher LPR (£19). The problem with LPR filters generally is how eell they work depends on what sort of lights you have creating the light pollution. I find mine is not much use near where I live but other people report better experiences with them.

The other alternative is whats called a UHC filter (the Skywatcher one is about £40). How ell that would work on your scope I dont know. They are relatively aggressive filters and work better with bigger scopes as a general rule.

The final choice would be an OIII filter but I would REALLY suggest your scope is too small for one of those. I find even on an 8" this filter type is too aggressive for most uses.

All of that seems to suggest a basic LPR. I have at present a Kson nebula filter but havent tested it yet so I cant advise from any experience on that.

Archived