looking for a telescope

Hello everyone,

My name is Brecht Ryckaert, I'm 25 going on 26, living in Evergem near Ghent in Belgium.

About 10 years ago I joined an astronomic society, but due to professional obligations i had to let that go 6 years ago.

Back then I was using my fathers 'scope, a 4-and-a-half inch dobson (focal point 900 mm), for some skygazing. Since I now have the time to take this great hobby back up, I would like to buy my very own telescope. Also because my dad's scope is allready about 20 years old.

I've gotten to this forum reading reviews, but since I've been reading, I just keep on seeing more types which draw my interest and i'm kind of at a loss...

I've been looking at the Meade ETX 90 and 125, but also at the Celestron Nexstar 4. I'm really interested in a telescope with a tracking system or goto system. These maksutov cassegrain telescopes look great.

I live in an area with a lot of light pollution, however I can take a 30 minute drive up to a much darker location. I intend to use it as a telescope to look at the moon, the planets and the brightest dso's.

Budgetwise I can go up to 1000 euro, though if I could get a decent scope for let's say 500-700 euro, I would have some money left to invest in accesoiries.

In a later point I would like to be able to attach my Nikon DSLR.

Any thoughts or advise?

Thanks in advance.

Hi Brecht and welcome to the group :mad:

I'm not familiar with the Meade scopes but I have a Celestron and can vouch for the optics and electronics in them. Also it sounds like your planning the money well leaving some over for accessories.

For the money though I think you could do better with the bigger aperture in the Celestron Nexstar 5SE or 6SE.

Cheers :D

Have the ETX 105 and it does what it says.

The 125 would enable more to be seen, and costs quite a bit.

Problem I see with attaching a DSLR is that the unit was not designed to hang a DSLR off the rear. There are web cams and bits that can be attached and these are a lot lighter.

Some people have horror stories but I have had an ETX for about 10 years and it is going fine. The horror stories usually involve the drive train and this is the part which will get stressed by adding a DSLR.

If you are thinking of the realms of astrophotography then an ETX will enable some but it is an Alt/Az mount and equitorial is better. So these great images you see will probably be beyond the reach of an ETX.

Thanks voor your swift replies. I think i should clarify the astrophotography part... It'll primarely be the moon and planets, since there not a lot of locations here in my vincinity that aren't light polluted.

Let's say the photography part isn't one of my priorities, but it would be fun to have that possibility if I should choose to go deeper into that.

Hi,

I have quite a few friends from Belgium in the world of astronomy. (I'm English but live in SE France.) Nice to say hello.

Quite honestly if you are used to looking through a 10 inch Dob you are going to find those little scopes a huge, huge let-down. A modern 10/12 inch Dob is within your budget and would give you more to look at.

If you are thinking about using your DSLR later than the scopes and mounts you mention are not at all useful. It may look as if they are when you read the publicity but the truth is that they are small scopes with inaccurate mounts by photographic standards. They have slow focal ratios which is hopeless for photography but allows them to do quite well on the planets, visually, despite their small size. That is what they are good at. However, I would forget them.

You have a simple choice. Either go for a good visual setup - a 10 or 12 inch Dob - or a good imaging setup - an EQ5 Pro mount and small semi-apo refractor. The only compromise, and it is a good compromise - would be a photo-compatible 6 or 8 inch Newtonian on an EQ5. Reflectors - Skywatcher Explorer 200P HEQ5 PRO

Using a Newtonian for photography is more complicated than using a refractor for all sorts of reasons but a small refractor is not really that good for visual astronomy whereas an 8 inch Newt is very good.

An equatorial mount is essential for photography but needs to be polar aligned. A go-to alt-az is nicer and easier in visual use but cannot be used for imaging. You will come across the possibility of using a wedge to convert an alt-az to equatorial for imaging but this is not something that many people find enjoyable when they try it (unless they have a permanent observatory.)

In a nutshell, if you have had experience of a ten inch Dob you have passed the small 'starter scope with go-to' stage and would find it terribly disappointing.

Or so I sincerely believe.

Olly

PS Sorry but I worte this before your clarification on imaging. We crossed in the post as it were! A smallish Mak or SCT will give you an intro to webcamming, certainly, and good planetary - lunar views. My remarks were directed to DS imaging.

It appear I've misscalculated the transition to inches :$ ... very sorry about that. My fathers scope is a 4-and-a-half inch scope with a focal point of 900 mm. Kinda messed up the conversion from cm to inches there. Sorry.

Perhaps this gives you guys a better idea on what i'm used to use.

Also, I'd like to list the scopes that thus far have drawn my attention:

Celestron Maksutov telescope MC 127/1500 NexStar 127 SLT GoTo

Celestron Nexstar 130SLT

Sky-Watcher SKYMAX-127 SynScan™ AZ GOTO

Meade ETX 90 PE Maksutov-Cassegrai

Celestron Nexstar 4 SE

It's actually the portability that draws me to the Cassegrains, since for the biggest part of my sightings, I'll have to drive somewhere farther away, which will be easier if a don't have a huge scope.

As far as accesoiries go, I'm thinking of a case to put the telescope in when on the road, and perhaps some occulars.

Thanks for every reply so far.

... no worries. But that does mean that a large Dob within your budget would give you an almighty treat (though no photography.) Always a tough call.

For photography you need a good mount, not just a mount that tracks okay for visual use. There is a world of difference.

Olly

Thanks Olly. Sure looks something to take into considderation. Been looking at the specs of the Explorer 200P and it sure would be a big step up from what i'm used to handle.

About photography: I think I'll rule that out for now (and the next couple of years), since that wasn't a short term plan anyhow.

Primarely just want to start over with astronomy and stargazing.

By the way, nice site you've got there. And a very nice scope on the pictures.

Hi again Brecht - I used to live in Herentals for 3 yrs when I was a kid (not far from Ghent) and I was very surprised on a recent visit how it had grown. The light pollution now is huge with all the extra building. So for you portability will be essential.

I think Olly's advice for a 200P on an EQ5 is a good idea. I used to have a 150P (just a little smaller) and they are very portable. The 200P is only a little bigger and breaks down into 3 "easy to transport" parts. It represents a great step up in aperture from what you're accustomed to and will give brilliant views of planets and DSO's.

You can get it with/without motors/goto and upgrade when you're ready. You can start observing straight away plus you have the flexibility to get into photography when you're ready.

All the best :mad:

(By the way - you can talk to us in mm or inches for telescopes - but I still struggle with km on the road despite going decimal - I've no idea what a km is like - much prefer miles lol)

Almost no hope for the scope size measurement.:eek::eek:

We seem to use inches and mm interchangeably for the diameter, but stick to mm for the focal length.:):D

Have seen similar scopes refered to as both 8 inch and 200mm, same with 6 inch and 150mm, and often in the same thread.:mad::icon_scratch:

Sure I have read of someone asking about upgrading their 8 inch and someone has posted that they get great views from their 200mm and recommending one.:D:evil6:

Archived