Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Design An Astro Book

TopHouse

The subject of the different books available and what people recommend and what are people's favourites comes up a lot, also in a current thread someone mentions 'style' and I know what they mean about preferable styles of book. So, how about designing a book as a fun project.

For instance, I have

Turn Left

Backyard Astronomers Guide

Monthly Sky Guide

S&T Pocket Atlas

Nightwatch

I can't say I think any is what I would call my ideal as a newbie, but if I were to design an Astro book I think I'd like one like this :-

Equipment coverage to a similar standard to backyard, but I'd like to see it go a little more in depth, for instance with such as polar aligning, which isn't great in backyard, and collimation covered more in depth.

I'd like to see a section that covers sky objects in a way that Monthly sky guide does, ie what is a nebula, what is a star cluster, what is a globular etc.

I'd like to see charts to the magnitude that nightwatch has (think it's 5th mag) but covered by months like monthly sky guide, but more information and more objects, also some star hopping exercises, where it gives a constellation and takes you on a tour of it, moving from one object to another. Preferably with telrad circles, and supply a transparent telrad overlay card that you can move over the charts.

I'd like to 'possibly' see a companion to the book that is ring bound and has the charts laminated and removable to use in field.

Obviously this is aimed at the beginner/intermediate, and am I the only one who finds the S&T pocket sky atlas a bit too deep?

Archived