Orion StarBlast 4.5 Astro Reflector Telescope

I adjusted my sig haha. I'm saving up for the XT6, but think I'll go with a cheaper telescope like the Orion StarBlast 4.5 Astro, then go with the XT10 later on. I'm still new to astronomy and I'm not sure what would be best.

Well as a general rule buy the biggest scope that you can manage and use frequently.

4.5" ain't much. You'd probably be better off buying the XT6 or XT8 (the one I have). The XT10 would show you even more but it's more expensive and heavy.

When I was researching for my 1st scope, last year, many people said a 8" dob haves one of the best ratios between aperture and manageability so I ended up with one and I'm pleased for now. It allowed me to see over 300 Deep Sky Objects so far (I have really dark skies here) and some planets/moon. However I suspect I'll want a bigger one soon.

It's always a hard choice but the XT6 or XT8 seam to be more suited for an adult, regarding what they can show and the observing position, which is very comfortable if you use a chair (in 1h + sessions it matters a lot!). The Starblast will need a table or bench to be on and I suspect it won't be so comfortable to use. For all this reasons I would advice saving a bit more and buy the scope later on. After all, summer is the worst time of the year for observations if you're in the north hemisphere, so it can wait a bit.

Pvaz is right about now being a hard time to use a telescope - from Wales I'm waiting till midnight to see anything faint, so clear nights in the week are lost. I have a 4 inch telescope and you can see some nice things, but if you can get more aperture then definitely do that!

Archived