NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

While taking flats I get a double peak on the histogram, The CCD is the QHY8, I'm assuming it is a seperate peak for the red channel(as red is always out)

Do you think it will make any difference to the flat? I assume that when DSS stacks them it gets rid of the Bayer Matrix and makes them grey scale.

post-16950-133877460163_thumb.jpg

In fact DSS is the ONLY one that I am aware of that doesnt boxcar filter "flatten" the bayer matrix, but does create per RGB channel flats by normalising each channel (i.e the red channel from the flats is used in calibrating the red channel in the lights, and the same goes for bias and darks). So long as each channel in the flat is showing a reasonable signal (i.e not down at the zero level mark), it wont really make much of a difference. My OSC RGB flats have some quite considerable peaks on my flats, but DSS throws out good calibrated data afterwards.

I am not 100% sure that flatenning the bayer matrix in OSC flats is the best thing to do, it just seems that if you can get OSC flats that have "enough" signal in each channel, why remove that per channel data if you have it and average it with the rest? You are effectively blurring your flats data by doing that.

Am sure a MaximDL user will be along shortly to explain why ;)

Can't help you other than to pass on my own strange experience with a new light box. I can take Ha LRG with it but not blue. It just produces nonesense, a bright light corner drifting off into darkness diagonally from there. Must be the spectrum of the bulbs or the properties of the white paint or something. Ruddy pest!

Olly

In fact DSS is the ONLY one that I am aware of that doesnt boxcar filter "flatten" the bayer matrix

It looks as tho that is the case. The first pic is a 'Master Flat' from DSS

The second is a 'Master Flat' from Maxim DL

The first is the same as a single frame

post-16950-133877460347_thumb.jpg

post-16950-133877460349_thumb.jpg

Archived