Skymax 127

Hi there,

I'm quite new to astronomy but know a few basics. I've just decided on my first scope Skymax 127. Just wanting advice on what else I am going to need to get with this scope other than a tripod and more EP's which I've already decided on. The main thing I want to know is what mains lead do I need to run it off an indoor power socket?. Any help will be appreciated Thanx...:D

Hello and welcome to SGL. Which mount is being supplid with your telscope? There are four mount option for the Skymax 127 and two different power requirements. The standard EQ3-2 equatorial mount with optional dual axis drives will happily run on the 6v dry cell pack and does not need a mains psu. The other mount options (EQ3-2 Pro Synscan, Supatrak and AZ-GOTO) all require a regulated power supply of 11 - 15v dc (tip positive) and capable of producing a continuous current of about 2000mA. The one I usually recommend is this one 220/240V AC Input 12V DC 2A Output psu.

Peter

A red light torch and a deshield are a good investment - could I advise you dont rush into eyepieces until you have some eyetime in. I hope I dont sound patronising but beginners often do tend to rush in and buy eyepieces before they have really had much experience - the classic mistake is beginers buying the most powerful eyepiece they can get which is seldom (if ever) a useful eyepiece.

There are all sorts of things that make eyepieces a very personal choice but there are some tecnical ones as well - like the fact that mostly in the UK you can seldom get to use very high magnifications.

Its worth waiting a bit to get it right.

Hi Georgina,

I have a Skymax 127 and just use rechargable batteries - but then I don't observe from near a power socket, nor do I do often observe for more than a few hours.

The one thing that has improved my observing experience more than anything is my Orion 9x50 RACI (Right-angle, correct image) finder scope. The finder that comes with the scope is a 6x30 straight-through, which means that: 1) You get a sore back and neck when trying to use it, and (2) the image in it is upside down but not flipped, where the image in the scope is right way up but flipped left-right. The RACI finder 1) has a right angle so viewing is comfortable and 2) the orientation matches what you see in the sky and also through binoculars. It's made finding things much easier for me :D

Clear skies!

Just want to back-up what Jove has said. I've got the Orion 9x50 RACI finder too for my 127, and it's the one upgrade I've made with the most obvious instant benefits. Can't recommend it highly enough.

Archived