Help with GoTo

Hello.

I have a Skywatcher N 130/650 Explorer BD with an AZ-S GoTo and I'm trying to use the remote's cursor buttons to rotate the telescope but without any luck. I haven't gone through the alignment procedure, will leave that for later but for now I would like to be able to rotate the telescope manually using the GoTo remote. Is this possible and how?

Thanks,

P.

I'm no expert on Alt Az mounts (or much else to do with Astronomy for that fact!) but the buttons should work, it may that the slew speed is too slow to notice? Can you hear the gears / mount make any noise when depressing the buttons? If you cant then there maybe a step you are missing.

I take it you have read the manual back to front and upside down etc?

I take it you have read the manual back to front and upside down etc?

Yeap. It seems to me that I have to go through the whole alignment process before I can operate it this way but I'm sure I don't have to go through it before using the control buttons.

If everthing is working when you power up the mount, handcontrol initialises etc, press button number 2 on the keypad, the LCD screen will then say RATE. Pressing any of the keypad buttons will then change the slew rate, 0 is the slowest rate and 9 the fastest.

Peter

OK, many thanks. I'll give it a shot when I get home.

Yeap. It seems to me that I have to go through the whole alignment process before I can operate it this way but I'm sure I don't have to go through it before using the control buttons.

That's interesting. I would be surprised if that was the case. If I get my scope out tonight Ill check, just out of curiosity as I have a different mount to you etc.

Oh geez I feel so dumb! That worked like a charm, just as Cornelius Varley suggested! Sorry for wasting everyone's time! :rolleyes:

However if anyone has any pointers on how to set it up for some basic tracking (say the moon) I would greatly appreciate it!

Thanks again, this forum ROCKS!

P.

I thought that might be the case. I remember trying my mount for the first time and thinking the same, then I realised it was slewing but very sloooowly. Then I realised I could adjust the rate. We live and learn!

Archived