NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Meteor, 3.30 am (aprox)

tinvek

was standing outside work this morning talking to a delivery driver when i saw this. it was sufficiently different from the usual to make me first think that some idiot had let off a firework before remembering they go up :)

it was travelling between west and north west of me which would put it in the direction of northern ireland and was pretty low in the sky starting at about 45 degrees and finishing at about 25.

it gave off a very bright white light, almost a bluey white and strong enough to light it's trail for about 10 degrees with the head showing a green glow. i wasn't sure about this at first but the delivery driver commented on the green before i mentioned it. the best way i can describe the brightness of the white light is that it was very similar to the footage of the main section of columbia when she broke up or the japaneese probe from the other day.

i'm assuming it was a meteor but whatever it was, it certainly produced the most stunning "shooting star" effect i've ever seen

EDIT: been thinking my first impression through and the one thing that keeps coming back is my first though about a firework and what caused me to think that way. it wasn't just the brightness but also the apparent closeness of it, in that it gave the impression that it was just the other side of the church which from where i was tanding is about 300 yds, which gives an idea how large this appeared to be. obviously with it still being reasonably dark at that time, it''s the brightness that gives an impression of size but it may help give an impression of how bright it was.

EDIT 2 : just found this pic on the net which gives a pretty good idea how it looked though without the glare

http://www.amsmeteors.org/images/20080930edin.jpg

Maybe it was this, I just read this on my web browser

Bright Green Comet Streaks Above The UK - Yahoo! News UK

Comet McNaught, I was just about to post to see if anybody had seen it.

The article does not give any times or coordinates of viewing except that it will be visible for about a week

Just seen a pic of the Comet and this is not it. best guess yours was a meteor

Archived