ATIK 16ic-s Mono

Si W, It's the way I tell um!

What I mean is, during an imaging session, when time is critical, concentrate on capturing lots of quality luminescence data with the ATIK, then rather than repeat it 3 more times for RGB do one quicker run with the DSI at the end just to get all of the colour in one pass. Then use the DSI image just to colour the high quality Atik image by using layers in Photoshop. It does work. People also do other runs with say a Ha or OIII filter and layer that in aswell to bring out nebulocity.

A recently borrowed my mates DSI II pro and can confirm the difference was very impressive compared to my IIc.

The thing for me is to get some cooling.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks for that Glider.

Yes, i to want the cooling as well, i noticed from an earlier thread about the DSI ii Colour, you wrote "the Meade has steam coming out of its ears at this time of year!" your so right, i was out last night, and i could honestly say the chip didn't go below 12.5c, i gave it up as a bad job, i'm just going to sit it out till the end of the month and get the 16IC-s. :)

Thanks

Simon

It'll make a good guide camera though, and come winter it'll be back in its element.

There is a cooling fan, see AstroBoot £25, my mate has one and it does drop the temperature 5 degrees. If you keep it below 10 degree it's a good enough camera.

Glider, That's the plan, use the DSI as a guider on my ETX 90 thats mounted on my LXD75, at the moment i use my LPI and 0.6 focal reducer as a guider, if there is a bright star in the area i'm working on, saying that, i had to modify the LPI as it's got a number of bad design issue's. I'm still going to keep the LPI as a tool for using on the smart drive training.

Simon

On combining OSC and mono data, I do this quite a lot with the Atik 4000s. However, I'm not sure that a quick run on one shot colour and a long run on mono luminance will combine successfully. Also I find that 3x40 mins RGB gets slightly more data than 120 minutes in the OSC. If you don't have enough data from the OSC run you can't apply the luminance at anything like 100% without washing out the colour.

Let me stress that I can't speak for others, who may have found a way of doing it. I'm just recording what I have found by ongoing trial and error. At 800mm you should be able to take colour in Bin 2 pretty successfully in a mono and that really does speed things up.

The Titan is a really versatile device on paper and I think we are all looking forward to seeing the results. I bet they'll be good.

Olly

Archived