NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Magnitudes

kidlands

If something is 20,000 times more than something else ie mass or magnetic strength how do you work out this as a magnitude?

So if I said A is 10 magnitudes larger than B and I know A is 20,000 times larger than B how do I work out A is larger than B by X magnitudes?

or if I know both figures ie A is 20,000 and B is 2000 how do you work out how many magnitudes A is more than B.

Hope that make sense?

steve

"Magnitude" when applied to a star is a very precise term. A star with a numeric magnitude one less than another is 2.512 times as bright. A mag. 9.0 star is 1/100th the brightness of a mag. 4.0 star.

When used otherwise, we generally mean "an order of magnitude" to mean adding or subtracting a zero .... so e.g. 64 is the same order of magnitude as 100 but about an order of magnitude larger than 10 or smaller than 1000. Very imprecise ...

'in order of magnitude' is what I think my examples need to be explained in.

If A is 317 and B is 17 how do I work out what order of magnitude is A more than B?

and if something is 20,000 times bigger, what order of magnitude is it larger?

I feel my scientific calculater warming up, does it involve Logarithms?

steve

I feel my scientific calculater warming up, does it involve Logarithms?

Take the logarithm (base 10) and round to the nearest number.

20,000 is 4 orders of magnitude. 317/17 is (a bit more than) one order of magnitude.

Archived