Canon Camera

Hi,

I've just got a new camera (Canon EOS 550D) to replace my previous camera (Fuji S100FS). Yeah - you can see where this one's going can't you?! :D

Can anybody here advise me where I can get the correct mounting tubes (and what tubes / adapter I need) to connect the camera to my SkyMax 127 'scope?

Tahanks!

Hi,

You'll need an EOS T-ring, which mounts on the camera in the bayonet fitting.

Then you need an adapter that goes from T-ring thread to the 1.25" eyepiece adapter on the SkyMax127. This is simply called a 1.25" T-adapter, and it screws in to the thread on the T-ring and basically turns your camera into a fancy eyepiece.

The T-adapter should also be threaded at the front so you can attach filters if you like.

You should be aware that on a DSLR, with a 1.25" fitting and a T-ring, you will get vignetting of the images. I have recently discovered this on my own setup.

To avoid this, you actually need a 2" adapter, and it's also better if you can lose the T-ring also as this is actually smaller in diameter than the 2" adapter. I found this product, that I'm thinking about buying:

2" UltraWide Prime Focus Adapter (True-2)

It does not use a T-ring and attaches directly to the camera bayonet fitting and makes the camera into a 2" eyepiece, with minimal or no vignetting.

However, to use it with the SkyMax127, you'll need some additional adapters to convert the rear thread into a 2" eyepiece adapter. On my scope, that would require a MAK-to-SCT adapter ring and then a 2" SCT eyepiece adapter.

So several options there depending on which route you want to take.

David

• 1 month later...

Archived