Eyepieces for f/4 scope?

Im looking at getting some new eyepeices for my 10"schmidt newtonian at f/4 after selling my much used set of meade series 4000 plossls

I was looking at televue or meade series 5000 plossls, does anyone know how these will perform in a fast scope?

What about celestron ultima's aswell, they look nice but how will they perform?

i have to limit myself on cost and just want a few good eyepeices because im doing more photography now anyway

Tele Vue eyepieces are tested (all of them !) to perform at F/4. The Ultima's are very nice although unfortunately out of production now. Many people say that they equal the performance of Tele Vue plossls although personally I'd say the TV's would just be a little sharper.

Unless you are prepared to spend big bucks I'd stick to standard FoV eyepieces like plossls - F/4 can be very unkind to wide and ultra-wide eyepieces.

Hi, my 150mm F4 newt works well with my Radians & Vixen LVWs, sharp to edge of field of view. Have borrowed Naglers & Pans, they work well too. But everything else I have tried, including Meade UWA, are fuzzy away from centre. Probably Pentax XWs would be good, but cannot speak from experience. It's one of the trade offs you have to accept with very fast scopes. I have a Pan 27, but can't use it with this scope as it has a 1.25" focuser, & would give a large exit pupil, so I haven't upgraded to a 2" focuser. Ed.

Archived