What can I see ?

With a 70mm refractor telescope. With an altaz mount. Skywatcher.

I have seen Saturn, Orion nebula and the wonderful craters of the moon. Now what ? I know I don't have the best telescope in the world, and it is small, considering I'm still 14 years old but at least there's something to see and make me wow other than Saturn. Saturn was incredible by the way. :D

I'm not sure if I can get good views of Albireo with my scope, I was tempted to see it but couldn't find it. Any help ? Stellarium didn't list it on my sky, ( I live in Malaysia, almost on the Equator ) . I'm confused between choosing the Northern hemisphere chart or Southern ones.

Thank you for your help. :D

70mm although small is a very capable scope, best thing to do is have a really good look at stellarium and just go outside and find your way around your own particular area. Try and set yourself a goal of recognising a new constellation every time you go out. Its not a test though, the aim is to just enjoy being outside looking up. Being almost on the equator you'll have the best of both worlds! Ive included a sketch of a deep sky object that i observed with my 70mm... clear skies and good luck, dont forget to keep us informed of your progress!

invertedm5.jpg

Thank you so much. I'll follow your advice and I'll inform you of my progress. The sky is not clear today, sadly. Will have more time to enjoy the sky after my mid year exam that'll end this Friday.

You should be able to find some equatorial charts... which would be better for your Location...

Try these... Northen, Southern Hemisphere and Equatorial Charts and best of all they are free...

http://observe.phy.sfasu.edu/SFAStarCharts/SFAStarChartsAll.pdf

Albiero is at the lower end of the "cross" of Cygnus ...

The Sky and Telescope Pocket Star Atlas is a very useful "companion"..

Peter...

Archived