NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Synscan AZ tripod fix

moflaher

Hi everyone:

I have a Synscan AZ carrying a skymax 102. Nice scope.

The issue is that the tripod is not very solid and I have tried some of the remedies (not fully retract legs, move upwards the tray, hanging stuff form the tray, etc).

However, for visual purposes is about right, so I don't bother too much.

The more serious disease is that the threaded brass where the bolts for tightening the legs in position moves out when tightening the bolt.

I have used some superglue as suggested, worked for a while. NOw I basically stopped playing with the bolt but I think that the whole thing could catastrofically fail.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Martin

Hi Martin, its not the prettiest fix in the world but I use a hose clip to prevent the inner leg slipping up the tube. I have tried the super glue method which is ok-ish but not reliable enough for me, maybe a 2 pack epoxy resin would be a better fix. :)

With regards to the mounts stability have you tried to pinch up the three allen key bolts on the tripod head ?

Brett

Hi Brett:

I will implement the hose clip fix and tightening the head bolts.

I think that this will address my worst nightmare: The tripod collapsing when waiting for the OTA to cool, left unatended !

Its scary I know, I realised mine had problems when I went into the shed to find it leant against the wall :). Thankfully the OTA was horizontal on the mount pointing in the direction of the dodgy leg otherwise it might have been a different story:icon_confused:.

Brett

Archived