**Help** Problems with viewing planets :(

Hey guys, new to this site and new to using my telescope so Hi :)

Any help on this would be great...

Tried to view venus tonight but unfortuantly when all lined up and in sight i could only see the outline of the bracket type thing inside of the mirror tube...

Was the same when i focused in on mars...The moon is fine.

Do i need a stronger lens?

Help me guys :D

Hey, it's only when I looked at Venus and mars that I got this

looking at the moon is fine and clear. Venus when zoomed out was a bright sharp light but that's all I could see through it the same as If you was looking at it with your naked eye. When I say the bracket I mean the part that the mirror reflects back onto where the outa lens is placed if that makes sense lol

Yes, that bracket is called the spider, the small flat mirror is your secondary.

If venus looked like a larger version of a very bright thing, then that's ok, that's what it looks like.

Mars is another difficult one.

Try saturn, you'll get a much better idea of where your focus is on saturn. The focal point for Saturn will be different than for the moon too, and go easy as it can go past the sweet spot very quickly if you're not used to it.

Thanks guys...all new to this so every lil helps :) Is saturn not a bit dificult to line up at the mo being so close to the moon? Also...i need to replace my lens as atm everything is upside down and the wrong way around....any ideas on a good all-round size?

Thanks guys...all new to this so every lil helps :) Is saturn not a bit dificult to line up at the mo being so close to the moon? Also...i need to replace my lens as atm everything is upside down and the wrong way around....any ideas on a good all-round size?

Saturn and the moon won't be in the same place for more than a night or so - download Stellarium so that you can see where these objects are for your location each night.

Upside down is normal for newtonian scopes. Right way up but left and right reversed is normal for refractors and cassegrains using a diagonal. You sort of get used to it after a while :D

Archived