Portable Grab n Go WF Kit

Seeing as I really like wide field sky images with DSLR and am about to go on an extended weekend break, I am contemplating some kit.

Skywatcher EQ3-2

Dual Axis Motors

Polar Scope

Would folks agree/disagree that the above combo would be ok for WF imaging . Any pros or cons ?

Although I would dearly love to get an Astotrac set up , the price is scary ( well tis to a Scotsman ! )

Mainly to be used with my 450D ( unmodded ) with 50mm EF f1.8 lens and possibly a 28mmEF f2.8.

Also have a 55mm-250mm EFS IS lens but possibly the longer focal range will introduce trailing ?

Clear Skies

Pete

Mine is based around and EQ3-pro - i dont know how the price compares to the EQ3 with the motors and polarscope (all included with the EQ3-pro)...

But you have "goto" , Computer control and autoguiding there as and when you need them...yesterday I have added computer free autoguiding by buying a Synguider...

With good PA usign the polarscope (not drift aligned) I have been able to go up to 180mm FL with the camera...

At 50mm I dont even bother doing anymore than checking the PA with the polar scope and manually enabling the Sidereal tracking...(skip alignment onthe handset)

Peter...

Thanks for the quick reply Peter. The above combo would come in at £275 ( FLO ) .

I had a look at the EQ3 Pro ( got a EQ6 Pro ) but I am not overly fussed about Goto , mainly wide field use, sort exposures, so seemed a bit overkill ( for me ) , granted the ability to go with guiding is very appealing .

Wondering how long I can get sub wise with unguided ( assuming good PA etc ) ?

Still not made up me mind , lol , having the EQ6 Pro with a guiding setup I can use that but its unwieldly weight wise . Also means I can't observe if I use that for widefield guided. Decisions huh .

Could end up looking at a reflector/mount combo mind you , use the EQ6 for wide field ,guided and do visual with the reflector. I'm getting greedy , want best of both worlds lol.

Clear Skies

Pete

Cheers again Peter

240 s , nice one Peter , esp unguided ! I forgot to mention that I have a Intervelometer that I can use to set the sub exposure's. Being about a c'ple of hours drive from some really dark skies and stunning scenery , portability seems more sensible to me. Will need to give more thought to this

Lol , why is this hobby so addictively expensive !!!

Clear Skies

Pete

Archived