Orion 8" reflector questions

Hi all,

I've just about narrowed my choice down to an Orion Europa or Spx 8" reflector.

I'd love some thoughts on whether an EQ5 is man enough for the job as a mount.

Also which f number I should be thinking of for an all round scope.

And which makes of eyepieces I should consider, and their numbers.

Thanks in advance.

Jazzer

I have a 10" F/4.8 Europa that sits well enough on a CG5 mount (the Celestron equivilent of an EQ5) for visual use. I'd agree with dweller25 that an 8" F/6 would be more versatile though.

My eyepieces range from 31mm down to 3.5mm although the latter is only useful on nights of really steady seeing. My eyepieces are Tele Vue's although there are many other decent types about.

What do you guys think about the Europa vs the SPX, and also the equivilent skywatcher OTAs. The skywatcher seem a bit cheaper.

I'd also better own up to being pretty new at this, but I've read around a bit and have a physics background. I've also been using binoculars for a fair while.

If you can afford it the Orion SPX with guaranteed 1/8th wave optics is the way to go but it's £595.

However, I have an 8" F/6 Skywatcher that has excellent optics and it only cost £260.

I doubt the Orion will be twice as good as my Skywatcher.

I don't know what your budget is but I would recommend the Orion Optics 200 F/6 SPX on a Skywatcher EQ6 - excellent all round performance, rock solid and portable too.

HTH

What do you guys think about the Europa vs the SPX, and also the equivilent skywatcher OTAs. The skywatcher seem a bit cheaper.

I'd also better own up to being pretty new at this, but I've read around a bit and have a physics background. I've also been using binoculars for a fair while.

Archived