Antares 1.5x/2x combi barlow - anyone got one of these ?

"What's so great"? I guess it has a removable, threaded, lens cell that can screw directly into the end of many eyepieces. But there are quite a few similarly priced Barlows that can do that as well. Antares do at least use a small-headed screw that will allow wide-bodied eyepieces to sit correctly on top of the thing tho'... :D

it has a removable, threaded, lens cell that can screw directly into the end of many eyepieces.

Yeah that dual magnification with the screw in lens was what attracted me to it in the first place - wonder if you can screw that into the front of the star diagonal so your not changing it between EP's all the time - or would you stuggle to reach focus ? :D

So does anyone have one of these ?

I've got one and, as people say, the smaller cell unscrews to give you two barlows for the price of one.

tbh I've never unscrewed the smalller cell since I first got it as it's too much hassle unscrewing then rescrewing if you want x2 again- you might as well buy a dedicated 2x barlow and the 1.6x dedicated cell that's also available.

It's ok, but then I picked it up when I first started for around £20, so judging against that level. Now I would probably buy a used barlow of a higher quality if you have time to wait for one to come up for around £30

I recently bought the Antares 2" 1.6x barlow. It came highly referenced from some friends that have premium EPs and say it is premium quality. It cost me 99$ from agenaastro.com and can be used with both 1.25" and 2" EPs.

Personally I only had a quick play with it and the Nagler 31T5 and it seamed great but seeing conditions at the time ware very bad and it was a full moon. I'll update my opinion on it when I get a half decent night to test it.

Archived