yet another collimation question

Here goes.... Another question..... I do apologise.

I am having a look at my Skwatcher 150p to a view to checking collimation. Nothing fiddled with yet - that is yet to come.

Cheshire arrived today and armed with a home made collimation cap and the Cheshire I retired to the office to follow Astro Babes guide.

Stage 1

I have a lovely round secondary mirror image

Stage 2

As I rack the focuser out, with the collimation cap fitted, I gradually loose one of the mirror clips on the bottom right. I only have all three in view when the focuser is racked in fully. Does this mean the focuser tube is out of true? Can this be recovered by adjusting the secondary or will I need to fiddle with the focuser tube?

Cheshire seems to suggest the primary is out as well but I'm loath to fiddle with this until the seconday is set properly.

Pretty please...??!!!

I have to say the result of a star test was why I started looking at it in the first place. It seemed to suggest something was amiss.

Having fiddled all evening, I hate to tempt fate but......

If I have done it right, and I think I have (only a star test will tell - and that relies on us having a clear sky......) all collimated. :D

The secondary was so far out of alignement, this could have accounted for the problems. Pulled this in and the primary was only a fraction out.

Never mind. Can't wait to test it now and I have to say, having done it, I can't see what all the fuss was about.

Can I please thank everyone here for their help, esp. Astro Babe for her fantastic guide, in anticipation of a job well done..

Archived