SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Alt/Az computerized mount for planetary imaging with 8" SCT?

My SCT 8" OTA (old Super C8 with fitted vixen type dovetail) is on it's way and when it will arive I'll have to reorganize my equipment. In the mount category I'm thinking about HEQ5-Syntrek and EQDir connection for guiding and GoTo from a laptop. It's good mount, will fit on my balcony... but it won't be easy to move (go to oposite side of the block to hunt Wenus or something at the west, take the scope for some "presentations"). So alternatively I'm looking at:

- iOptron SmartStar-E (alt/az) or -A (alt/az/eq) [cheaper, lol]

- NexStar SE mount

And I don't know if it's worth to fight with such mounts.

Usage: planetary imaging, easier grab-and-go. Maybe some small DS hunting if they allow it (clusters, planetary nebulas) and if the field won't rotate. - they both can be guided (SmartStar-A via ASCOM, Celestron has guide port and maybe via direct connection to the laptop).

SmartStar-A looks like this:

smartststarp.jpg

Whats interesting is that I saw few NexStar SE scopes in the local astroshop that had similar EQ-tilt bar and they didn't used the wedges. Some new version of the mount?

Archived