Planetary Observation with a Newtonian

Hi guys,

Having been interested in Astronomy for a number of years and owned several 'toy' telescopes and binoculars, I decided recently purchase my first propper telescope. I took the plunge and bought a Sky-Watcher 150P Reflector, based on quite a bit of research and advice.

Up to now, I have been enjoying using it immesely, now that I have become familiar with the workings of the GEM!

At the moment, I've become particularly interested in planetary viewing (maybe I should have got a refractor!?). Saturn, as every, was a stunning sight. I could see faint whisps of cloud bands and about 3-4 of her moons. Mars on the other hand was less spectacular. Both times I have tried to view it, it's very small in view and has quite a lot of colour distortion, which I put down to the poor seeing conditions.

I was wondering whether anybody could steer me in the right direction for upgrading the standard EP set that ships with the scope. I'd like some slightly higher magnifications for Planetary viewing for when conditions improve, possibly with filters, but I still enjoy eyepieces with wider fields for DSOs.

At the moment, I have 10mm and 25mm standard EPs.

Thanks in advance,

Chris.

I really enjoy planetary observation. Mars has been tremendous over the last few months but it is now past it's best by a long way.

You have a good scope but to get the very best out of it I would suggest the following :-

1. Flock opposite the focusser to help with contrast.

2. Fit a computer cooling fan at the rear of the scope to remove heat from the primary and tube currents.

3. Ensure very accurate collimation.

In terms of eyepieces I would suggest Orthoscopics, they are very sharp and simple eyepieces that only cost £50 each new or around £25 second hand.

I always use a Barlow lens to help with eye relief as I wear glasses - the x2 Celestron Ultima is very good.

A good range of magnifications for the planets would be x150 to x250 so a 9,7 and 6mm Ortho with a x2 Barlow would give x167, x214 and x250.

HTH

Thank-you for your reply. I was looking to spend around £25 for EPs, so I'll keep my eyes open in the for sale area!

Could you please explain to me what your first point means?

Mars is very challenging. Now it's getting away form us and getting smaller every day. Every 2 and a half years or so it gets close, unfortunately for you that happen in January so it will be a while now till the next good chance to observe it.

the 1st point mean to put a special black sticker paper inside the tube so it will reduce light bouncing on the sides of the tube and getting into the EP. That darkens the background and improves contrast, but unless you got lots of flood light in your observing spot it won't improve that much. Precise collimation and quality EPs do make a big difference. Cooling is also very important.

Thanks pvaz. I'm going to soon invest in a good set of eyepieces, but I need to have a good look around first.

One thing that springs to mind is an offer that OVL were doing when I bought the telescope. They were offering an RRP £150 set of eyepieces and filters for basically half price. Not sure whether anyone is familiar with these, but I was a little dubious.

Anyone think these may be worth the punt? See bottom of the page: Sky-Watcher Explorer-150P newtonian telescope.

Thanks pvaz. I'm going to soon invest in a good set of eyepieces, but I need to have a good look around first.

One thing that springs to mind is an offer that OVL were doing when I bought the telescope. They were offering an RRP £150 set of eyepieces and filters for basically half price. Not sure whether anyone is familiar with these, but I was a little dubious.

Anyone think these may be worth the punt? See bottom of the page: Sky-Watcher Explorer-150P newtonian telescope.

I've tried some of those LER eyepieces - not very good I'm afraid. I'd save your money for a used orthoscopic or similar - much better optically.

For 69£ you get the case, 4 filters, 4 EPs and a red torch so seams like a great deal. The EPs won't be very good but at this price that's about what the filters, case and torch would cost.

They should be about as good as the ones that came on your scope, they will allow you to experiment and later on, if you find astronomy is your thing, buy a couple of good EPs for the magnifications you use more often. The 2mm one will exceed the max mag for your scope, maybe you'll use it on the moon on excellent rare nights, but you can use all the other EPs.

Usually I don't recommend this kind of sets, less so on a fast scope like yours, but at this price, and considering you're just starting and you need to experiment to find what you like, I think it's a very good purchase.

Archived