Tripod to mount rotational movement

There seems to be a fair amount of "slop" where my tripod legs converge onto the mount. This seems to be through torsional movements.

The mount itself and the tripod as a hole can be rock steady but this play can screw up my alignment and level. I think it also contributes to tube shake.

Its probably something i should live with but are there any suggestions on how to minimise it?

I think its about as tight as i can get it. I may just be expecting too much from a cheapy

This may sound a little mad ;) but I find that hanging a weight from the three tray supports helps with the slop problem. What I did was to use thin 2-3mm braided rope tied to each support, converging in the center with a half full 3l bottle hung underneath. It seems to prevent the torsional shift you mention and it also dampens the vibration which is a bonus :)

Hope it helps

Brett

Archived