Beginner Imaging Advice

I have had a SkyWatcher 150PL since Christmas and I am now interested in starting out in some astrophotography. I would like to get some nice shots of the moon and planets for now.

I have a DSLR and have considered buying an adpater to connect it to my scope. However I see webcams are meant to be very effective too. Particularly imaging devices such as the Celestron NexImage Solar System CCD imager.

What im really wondering is what will produce better shots of the moon and planets? My DSLR or something like the Celestron CCD imager? Also will I need a motor on my EQ-3 mount to take photos of just the moon and planets?

Many thanks in advance

If you can keep a planet in the FOV of the 10mm EP combined with the X2 barlow for a few mins using the manual controls then you may be in with half a chance of imaging the planets without motorising the mount... Good polar alignment will mean you should only have to "drive" in RA... (the Nex images have a FOV roughly equivalent to a 6mm EP so by trying it out with the 10mm and x2 your using a smaller FOV)

an RA Motor would make life "easier" you wouldn't need to motorise DEC...

Something like the NexImage will be a better option than the DSLR...

Peter...

Archived