Which Telescope out of these 3?

I wouldn't say it will allow for better views on planets, but when properly collimated the view should be at least equivalent and allow higher mags when seeing conditions are good. Unless the color aberration on the evostar is too pronounced on planets, if thats the case then the reflector will show you better views on planets as you won't have this problem.

The 8" reflector will be more of an all-rounder and will surpass the refractor when it comes to DSOs.

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The 200P is a brilliant all-round scope. It won't need collimating every night out unless you really bang it around. Mine has only needed collimating 4 times in the last 18 months. Admittedly i don't take it out to a dark site, it only has to travel 15ft across the lawn. So in normal use it should hold collimation really well.

If you are considering a dob, then consider the 200P dob. It uses a different mirror set to the Explorer, 200mm f6 instead of 200mm f5. There's a few upsides to this:

Collimation is less critical

It will be kinder on the eyepieces

Has superior contrast on the planets

You can make it a dual mount scope by adding rings and an EQ mount later. But it works like a charm as a dob. As Dweller says, you need to make a few minor upgrades to get the most out of it. The Skywatcher dob base needs some tweaking for a better feel but this is cheap and easy.

I owned the 200P and 250PX dobs at the same time, but decided to sell the 250PX because the 200P was the better planetary performer and not too far away on the faint DSO's either. It's also more stable on the dob base and needs less in the way of an EQ mount.

Archived