NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Imaging with DSLR and eyepiece projection

Jove

Hi all,

I'd like to try my hand at astrophotography using my DSLR (Nikon D80) - I'd particularly like to get some images of Saturn as it looks so magnificent just now, and also of the moon.

I've been looking at what I might need to do this and one option is to use an 'eyepiece projection' adapter - as I understand it this results in a scope -> eyepiece -> adapter -> camera setup, where the camera is connected to the adapter without a lens (In a sense its a cross between afocal and prime focus ?). This all makes sense to me, I get the magnification from the eyepiece and I do with my eye and the adapter handles getting that image onto the camera CCD.

Is it as easy as it sounds? I wonder in particular if there can be issues with:

- being able to get focus the image on the CCD, does the adapter have to be adjustable to get the right distance between the eyepiece and the CCD?

- will any adapter accomodate any eyepiece (of the appropriate barrel size) ?

- can I use a barlow?

- how do I find out if my scope + eyepiece will give a flat enough field for the image to be in focus across the whole (or at least most) of the CCD?

If anyone uses this kind of set up has any tips or hints on it I'd love to hear... also are there any really good adapters out there?

Thanks!

I personally didn't have much success with this method, having used it when I first tried my hand at imaging. See my pitiful attempt at M31 here:

http://stargazerslounge.com/imaging-deep-sky/59793-lets-see-your-1st-dsos-5.html#post1322985

...but then I didn't really know what I was doing.

I have a Nikon D70 and have only had any real success with a barlow only. You might be able to achieve prime focus (I can't) with your scope though, which would be much better.

Note that at prime focus you will probably get a narrower FOV (higher mag) than with, say a 25mm eyepiece. Using an eyepiece for extra magnification is not really viable, you are better off with barlows.

I believe your DSLR has CMOS chip. Just a note, CCD more sensitive than CMOS. As to imaging it would be difficult to capture Saturn whether prime or eyepiece projection. You can though image moon and prime focus (direct DSLR to telescope tube) is recommended with the type of DSLR you use. All you need to get is T thread and T mount to be able to connect your DSLR camera to telescope at prime focus.

Archived