Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Replacement focuser

Sorry if this has been answered before but I've just bought a skywatcher 130 EM (yup I bought the one without the parabolic mirror) and find it ideal for what I need at the moment, mostly looking at the moon but I find the focuser it comes with very cheap, flimsy and quite difficult to get a decent focus because it doesn't come with a fine focus. Is there any replacements I can use on this telescope from maybe crayford or the like. I searched the web but the only skywatcher telescope crayford mention is the 200 and up. Any help would be much appreciated.

Hi - there are two ways forward. YOu could look to get a helical focus inser for the current focuser. A helical focuser basically allows a finer focus. They used to be quite popular but I am sure there are still some around. I think Orion in the US sells them, Antares used to make one and Green Witch have one for sale (its pricey though at £80)

The second option that would fit the scope (maybe) would be a Baader steel track. The Steeltrack doesnt need a radius curve to the outside of the scope and has a universal mounting plate.

The real downer if you want precision focusing is the cost. Most of the focusers cost more than the scope - and by that I mean almsot any scope as well.

Archived