NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Advice on getting a cam please

coxie

I want to start imaging some time soon, can any of you suggest some suitable cams that are cheap as this will be my 1st time doing this I dont want to spend too much at the moment as its just to see what I can do before i fork out for a decent camera. Thanks

Look for DMK21 - this is lunary/planetary CCD monochrome camera (DFK21, DBK21 are color, but mono has more advantages). If you have motorized GoTo Alt/Az mount then you can easily image planets or moon with it, and also some of small deep space objects (globular clusters, very bright emission nebulaes) with low focal ratio :) (it won't be as pretty as from super DS cams, but still very nice).

4416222877_0cb1f35925_o.jpg

Stack of ~300 frames, 2 second exposures .

or nice planets:

red2.png

rgb.png

not looking to spend that much on a cam just yet , must be some cheaper option webcams or something

Check the "for sale" forum - in the next 1-2 months there may be some IS cameras, as Atik Titan will be hitting the market, and if it gets good reviews - may kick few IS to the second market (+ possibly Point Grey Flea 3).

Webcams are much cheaper, but it may be very hard to get good result with them.

Archived