First telescope, price range, and guide books

Hey guys, I'm looking to buy my first telescope and of course I'm going to be going for a Dobsonian. Any suggestions on a good Dob telescope within a reasonable price range?

Also, what guide books should I buy? I want to buy two. I hear Turn Left At Orion is a very good beginner's guide.

And last but not least, I also need some clarification on eyepieces. The larger mm size of the eyepiece, the more general and wide the view, correct? So what should I start off with to get a nice view the general night sky without being too general and wide? And what kind of eyepieces do the "big boys" of astronomy use?

Thanks ;)

What do you call a reasonable price range ?. I've always felt the Skywatcher 8" F/6 dobsonian was just about the best price / performance balance around. Currently they are £265 at First Light Optics.

You get a couple of eyepieces with it to get you started. The usual advice is not to rush into additional bits and bobs until you have had a few sessions with the scope.

Hi

i was advised to get 'turn left at orion'.

its a great book and thoroughly deserves its recommendations.

the ep's with the dob will be ok only.

if you can stretch to it a 32mm 2" would be a great addition. it's what i got. the Skywatcher panaview at £75ish quid is the kiddie without breaking the bank.

jobe

ps Don't forget when you get your stuff and open the box make sure you catch the box clouds ;)

I would thoroughly reccomend The Backyard Astronomers Handbook and to buy it before you by any kit. There was a seperate thread on here recently and Turn Left At Orion and the Handbook seemed to be very popular.

I was in your situation a few months ago and was given the Handbook. It has answered all of my queries and together with this Website it is an invaluable source of information for those starting out.

Best wishes,

Nick

Archived