NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Darks Library

We have small environmental chambers at work so I intend to do a series of Dark files at various temperatures and exposure times.

So any advice on a temp/exposure matrix and number of darks for each.

My initial thoughts was of a matrix of temp changes in 5 degree C steps from -5 to +25 and exposures of 4, 6, 8 and 10 mins.

But as my LP varies sometimes I do 5 and 7 minute exposures as well, so would I need to do these or could I use say use 6 and 8 min Darks instead.

Your advice would be most welcome.

I went through the same exercise in my fridge for darks to use with my Meade DSI IIc!

I'd do all of the times/temperatures if you anticipate using them. If I then do an odd one one night I add it later, you slowly build up a library of all the combinations.

At each time/temperature I took 20 shots for times less than 1 minute and 10 for longer exposures otherwise the time taken to collect a single set got into the 'hours'.

PS...If doing this at home remember to turn the cooling back 'up', I froze the lettuce and milk overnight, family not impressed when they wanted their corn flakes in the morning.

Archived