Unknown binoculars!

Hello to everyone on here,just stumbled across the site and thought i would sign up!I have just been given a pair of binoculars after mentioning i would like to see what i could make out in the sky (after recently getting more and more interested in planets,galaxies,universe etc) the binoculars are a make called hanoptik and magnification says 20-100 x 30.I cant find anything about them on the net :eek: has anybody here heard of/used these before and what are your opinions?thanks in advance for any replies.

Hanoptik seem to be sold on quite a few sites, but no info on the actual company.

The ones you describe are obviously zoom binoculars.

20-100 magnification seems quite high for a 30mm pair and would realy need to be tripod mounted to get any sort of steady image.

I personaly wouldnt recomend them for astronomy, but seeing as you were given them thats a bonus :eek:

They seem to go for 69.99. You could get much better 10x50's for a lot less, or for a little more get a pair of 15x70's

Hope that helps a little

Greenkat

As said before for astronomy you need large aperture and low power so you won't dim the faint objects even more.

Those binos should be ok at the lowest mag (20x) and as you won't have to pay for them you can start on astronomy for free. I started similarly with a pair of old binos that was given to me, that allowed to save cash for the 1st scope.

So make the most of them for now, get this monthly map and check the objects suggested for binos:

Skymaps.com - Publication Quality Sky Maps & Star Charts

If you get a tripod to steady them, maybe you could use high mags on the moon/planets as they are very bright and it makes up for the lack of aperture. Saturn and Jupiter show nicely at 100x and the combined aperture of the binos should be equivalent to a 40 or 50mm scope, which should be enough for them. Mars will barely resolve into a disc shape (instead of a point) and maybe you'll be able to detect a tiny white spot on top (polar cap), but most people find it a hard target even on scopes.

• 2 weeks later...

I suggest you begin observing with smaller handheld binoculars--8x42 or 10x50. The larger binoculars go deeper but you see less of the sky in the eyecups (field of view) and you will need a tripod.

Hi, If you're near a Lidl store they may still have some of their Rocktrail 10x50 Binos for £13.99. They have excellent eyerelief and are brilliant for night sky viewing. I've had numerous pairs over the years, even fairly expensive ones and these are the best I've ever had. Stars are pinpoint sharp and though I can't see the rings on Saturn I can make out that it isn't a regular shaped planet.

Mark

Archived