Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

The Cambridge Corpus Christi Chronophage Clock

mike.brightmore

Just thought I'd share this you under the clouds. I've long been an admirer of John Harrison (1693 - 1776) the son of a carpenter from Barrow on Humber who stole a march on the leading astronomers of his time by constructing a marine chronometer to accurately determine longitude at sea. In doing so and eventually winning the Longitude Prize offered by Parliament he proved wrong such Titans as Gallileo, Newton, Huygens, Cassini, Flamsteed and, particularly, the Astronomer Royal Neville Meskalyne. His clocks H1 to H4 in the Royal Observatory, Greenwich are well worth a vist.

Anyway on a recent visit to Cambridge I stumbled upon this beautiful, enigmatic and thought-provoking timepiece in the window of Corpus Chriti College Library. Conceived by Cambridge 'old boy' Dr John C Taylor and funded by him to the tune of about £1 million it was appropriately unveiled in 2008 by Stephen Hawking. The clock face, 24c gold plated, is about 5 feet in diameter and its operation has to be seen (and heard) to be believed. It demonstrates, disturbingly, how time is relative but always being eaten away. It also pays tribute to one of John Harrison's innovations - The Grasshopper Escapement.

If you're interested Dr Taylor introduces and demonstrates the chronophage (Time Eater) clock in this Youtube video:...

post-15108-133877427071_thumb.jpg

Archived