NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Help with viewing nebula

Hello again

Was just wondering what the best EP is for viewing the m42 with my scope. Not having much luck with locating because the clouds keep rolling in :) I have the x2 barlow a 10 and a 25 EP at the minute. getting some new ones next week off someone on sgl though. what can i expect to see when i do find it. everything at the moment just looks like stars

Thanks

You'll probably do best to use an eyepiece that'll give you about a 60' fov (two Full Moon widths). The nebula's pretty bright and stands up well to moonwash.. i can't understand why all you're seeing is stars, unless you're using to much magnification and too tight of an fov. It'll look something like this. Hope this helps. :)

The 25mm EP should be OK (without barlow) as the nebula is quite big. Its easy to find below Orions belt (about the belts length down from the middle star of the belt).

You'll see more of it the darker the skies are. The moon washes the nebula out quite a lot - as can light pollution and hazy skies.

Have you downloaded Stellarium yet? Its free software that is a great help in locating objects in the sky. Stellarium

Here is a video off of you tube showing what its like to see the orion nebula through a telescope (on a good, dark night)

Good luck

Warren

I am using too much mag then ;) Thankyou :) Was blown away by the moon tonight! didnt expect to see so much detail. Im all clouded in now but from the met IR sat looks like its going to clear again in an hour or two so will try with the 25 EP ;) Need to get the goto upgrade for my mount asap me thinks

M42 is an emission nebula and needs low power eyepieces to capture the full effect. With your 8" scope and the eyepiece choices you have it would definitely be your 25mm. An OIII filter would also be beneficial for you at some point.

M42 should be quite easy for you to locate and will show up readily in your finder. Good luck!

Just incase you still haven't spotted it yet, M42 is the "fuzzy" pair of stars in Orions sword if you are looking with the naked eye. A pair of binos really brings it out, even with the full moon. As said, your 25mm EP will be full of M42 and trapezium will be obvious, 4 stars and very likely Trapezium E will be apparent too.

Archived