NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

I Got It Out!!

TopHouse

Oooerrr Matron!!!

After having my first telescope (a 200p) for a week, I finally got it out tonight! I've been pacing all night, the moon kept threatening to clear a little, I wanted to see something, I didn't care what, even a single star tonight would have tempted me, it's been nothing but either foggy or cloudy since i got my new toy.

So, I set it up on the patio, found the moon, started with a 17 mm EP, absolutely stunning, just fitted the full moon into view with the 17, so I tuned the spotting scope a little had a really good look with the 17, me and the wife taking turns, then a little pause whilst the moon disappeared. Then we swapped to a 12.5 EP WOW, all the lumpy bits on the top, which in the scope is the bottom (notice I've adapted all the technical terms) looked fantastic!

We even went down to a 6mm and I can confirm, it really IS made of cheese!

Conditions were FAR from perfect, even the 'clear' spells were still covered with a haze of cloud, it was like we had a permanent layer of cloud over it, black totally non see through cloud and then what I'm calling clear was still wafty cotton wooly stuff (more technical terms) But even with the 6mm and Rubbish conditions it was a wow!

The thing is now, I was so 'over the moon' (jokes too see!) and can't wait for when conditions are a lot better. Both of us really did say wow! When I had the 17 in, we got about 30 seconds of total clarity and that was absolutely stunning!

I have also now come to the conclusion that an 200p combined with an EQ5 is one seriously heavy [removed word] to be lugging out to the patio!

Good stuff mate, I got mine out tonight aswell.

Had a non-astronomer round for tea and biccys tonight and showed him some stuff aswell. Managed to get the moon, m42 and mars in tonight so was really chuffed.

I know what you mean with those EQ mounts, I've cancelled my membership down the gym.......

Glad you had a good first night with your scope, here's to many more.

Archived