NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Anti corrosion

I have found corrosion caused by moisture on a cable that links my QHY5 guider cam to the mount - eeek! I have been recommended this product

http://www.ruststopshop.com/products/corrosionBlock.cfm

The specs seem very good and suitable for electronics and connectors, so if you have had problems with your electronics/connectors this might be for you, I will be ordering a can.

Have you got a photo of the corrosion?

No I tried to clean it off but it was green, copper oxide I think, the connector area must of got damp, no surprise really so once I get everything working again I will make sure I have in place some protection for the connectors. I already have conformal coated my new mount control board as the old one failed due to condensation sitting on it.

Not sure how you can protect the connectors without losing their conductivity unless you do something like gold plate them. Perhaps you should consider replacing with gold plated connectors/cables.

I have ordered a cable from astronomiser, he makes quality gear. Unfortunately the connection inside the QHY5 cam is inaccesable to plate it, it might already been hard bright gold plated, it should be as should any connector that is going to be used many times, but one trick manufacturers use is to put too little gold down (ie not to spec) and just flash plate it to save money, this is done by the PCB fabricators often in the far east.

The anti corrosion spray I will buy should reduce build up of moisture and stop corrosion, they claim it does not affect connectivity.

Archived