NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Canon err 99

Has anyone else suffered from "err 99" error on a Canon 1000d. I get this error every time I take a manual shot after switching it on. I can get it to work by taking the battery or memory card out. It's actually not a big issue for me as I normally trigger it from my laptop via usb cable. Only concern if its a symptom of a more serious issue to follow? Unfortunately err 99 is a generic error code.

Canon support suggested I update the firmware, no effect. They will fix it if I send it off, but I don't fancy parting with it for a week (bound to get clear skies then).

The 1 year warranty runs out in May. Fix it or leave it?

cheers

John

The usual cause of "err 99" is dirty contacts between the body & lens. You can prove this by replacing the lens with the body cap - if the body will then switch on reliably but you get "err 99" when you put the lens back on, clean the contacts on both lens and body gently using a cotton bud soaked in methylated spirit, allow to evaporate dry rather than wiping, you don't want lint left on the connectors. If that doesn't work (but chances are high that it will), get the camera serviced under warranty.

You are only saying I should send it away so that you will get some consequtive clear nights (and days for Brian) :eek:

I have followed the steps outlined on the internet. The error has nothing to with the lens (contacts clean & get error with & without lens), also error does not occur if saving images only to the laptop. I think its related to the power management of the SD card reader. This is because the problem occurs when coming out of 'sleep'.

I have until May, but as you all say its worth getting it sorted. I was considering modding to get better Ha. I would be bonker to mod it when it was already a bit dodgy :)

cheers

John

Archived