NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Mars - 3rd January 2010

dweller25

Woke up early this morning and had a quick look outside to be greeted to a totally snow covered ground with a beautiful clear sky, Mars was still up and close to the Moon but both were getting low so I quickly dressed and got the Dobsonian set up.

Seeing was poor/average - II/III.

07:00 UT - 03.01.10

Skywatcher 8" F/6 Dobsonian at x200

Orange #21 filter used.

CM= 18'

To the south of the drawing the ploar cap could be seen and above it was Mare Acidalium and Niliacus Lacus.

To the north of the drawing Sinus Meridiani stood out to the left and Mare Erythraeum was obvious but no real detail could be seen.

post-13701-133877418138_thumb.jpg

Another good drawing there dweller25, the Acidalium stands out well.

I went out at 03:00UT, and had great seeing conditions. Some fantastic detail was seen with my 120mm Achromat and binoviewers. By 06:00UT I did notice that the seeing went downhill.

Also had a look at the moon, and clearly picked-out 3 craterlets in Plato. The biggest one looked like a crater, while the other two

were bright white spots. Suspected seeing a fourth one, also plenty of bright areas on the crater floor.

Archived