Which telescope

Hi all new to star gazing but always been keen to have ago.Searching the web looking at telescopes and i got these 2 in mind, 1st one Celestron Nexstar 6 SE Telescope Nexremote and the 2nd one Orion SkyQuest XT8i Computerized IntelliScope.Now which is the best and easiest to transport about and which gives better views.Thanks:confused::hello2:

Hi,

Both are good scopes. The Nexstar has GOTO and is the more portable. The Intelliscope has "push to" (you move the scope as directed rather than motors) and it's larger aperture will show fainter objects and a bit more detail.

If you let us know what your interests are (or might be as you are new to this !) and a rought budget I'm sure other suggestions will be forthcoming - there are a lot of choices these days !.

In the ideal world you would get to a local astronomy club to see some scopes in action. It really helps in the decision making.

In the less than ideal world you need to figure out how much aperture you want to transport. Also figure out how much you want to spend. Also figure out if you want help locating objects (GOTO or PUSHTO). Knowing the limits to the above three will guide your choices.

As for the two scopes you mentioned.... both are computerized so the larger aperture scope "wins". Aperture always wins. What you need to do is decide on an aperture and then compare the different scope types. The XT8i is also simpler (no motors, no big battery required) and therefore more reliable.

However!!!! Some folks would prefer the 6" Nexstar for its tracking, and ALL the folks are "correct". So it all depends on what YOU want and the best way to figure that out is to see a few scopes in action.

I faced a similar decision a few months ago and my narrowed choices ware similar to yours. I was also in doubt between the XT8i and the 8SE.

I don't need to transport my scope, as my backyard has excellent conditions, and I didn't want the hassle of having to use power supplies for the scope, so I went with the XT8i. I had GOTO/PushTo on my requirements as I didn't know how easy it would be to locate objects.

I decided to learn the sky and leave the push to system alone for a while. It was easier then I thought so I rarely use the system and if I was making my purchase now I would have bought the XT8 non computerized version and get a high end Eyepiece with that money (a Televue Nagler 13mm sells for around the price difference).

I had a chance to use an 8SE later on and was pleased with it. It's slightly more portable but requires the power supply. The tracking feature is nice at high mags but my XT8 only needs to be carried out of the garage and put on the ground to start observing. Since your dilemma is between the 6SE and the XT8 then the XT8 will have an advantage on fainter objects such as galaxies/nebulas.

They are 2 great scopes, each haves some advantages. I think in the end its up to your personal needs. You'll be pleased with any of them.

Hi Frequency 777

I am not familiar with your other choice but I do know the 6se having used one for 18 months now(my first scope). I wanted to use a GoTo type set up as a way of helping me learn the night sky and I feel it has helped me enormously.Once I got used to setting up and using it and with several additions(dew shield,portable power source,good quality EPs)I have got nothing but praise for it.Views under favourable seeing have been excellent on both Solar system and DSO's.Tracking is good although on Alt/Az its not suitable for Astrophotography.

I recently bought the Celestron cpc 925 which is not an easy scope to transport so for the time being I will be keeping my 6se.

Good luck with whichever one you choose!

Celestron cpc 925

Celestron 6se

Vixen/Televue EPs

Canon 1000D

The Nexstar 6SE is an F/10 scope so most eyepieces will work well with it. You get a 25mm plossl (60x) with the scope (assuming you are buying new) so you might want to add a medium power eyepiece, say 12.5mm (120x) and higher power eyepiece such as 7mm (214x). That would be a reasonable range to get you going. The other "must have" with a schmidt-cassegrain scope is a dew shield - you will definately need one !.

Archived